John Mason Governance
John Mason is an academy school and part of the The Abingdon Learning Trust. John Mason Governors work cooperatively with Governors from Fitzharrys School to ensure the best outcomes for children across the two schools
Working in partnership with the Headteacher and staff, Governors ensure high standards of achievement for the young people in the two schools. Governors have four core strategic functions delegated to us by The Abingdon Learning Trust Board:
- Setting the vision, ethos and strategic direction of the school, within the context of The Abingdon Learning Trust.
- Monitoring plans to improve outcomes for children from the closer alignment of the two schools.
- Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its students.
- Ensuring the school remains within the budget delegated by The Abingdon Learning Trust and making sure the money is well spent.
- Governors meet as an overall John Mason and Fitzharrys Secondary Board, but also carry out detailed scrutiny through three bodies:
- The John Mason and Fitzharrys School Local Academy Boards which focus on the achievement and welfare of pupils at the individual schools and ensure that the individual schools remain within budget and that money is well spent.
- A joint committee for the governance of the JMF6 sixth form –the JMF6 Committee.
Terms of Reference can be found as a PDF documents on this page.
Who are the Governors?
The Governing body is made up of people who have a common passion for providing the best education for children in their schools. Parents and staff are specifically represented on the governing body, whilst other governors are appointed by the Trust to ensure a wide breadth of skills, experience and viewpoints to enable the governing body collectively to support and challenge the school leadership.